Food Film Menu
In Europe, the incredible diversity of food, food culture, food traditions and food knowledge has influenced cultural traditions, architectural and landscape heritage. As more people move to globalized diets it is vitally important to revalue and re-promote our European food as cultural heritage for future growth and development.
The European Regions of Gastronomy Platform which currently consists of 12 awarded regions, has identified the important role of audio-visual for promoting local food products, local food recipes and traditions related to regional gastronomy.
The Food Film Menu aims to support interactive and innovative ways of giving visibility to the European Regions of Gastronomy and to their food heritage, developing creative audio-visual content that could be shared. The project will give visibility to different actors which are part of the food chain from production to consumption. Focusing on locality, sustainability and authenticity guarantying a cross-collaboration and dialogue with the audio-visual and the creative sectors.
The main objectives of this project are to:
- Promote the transnational circulation of cultural and creative works that have European food tradition as the protagonist.
- Strengthen innovation and creativity in the field of culture, by testing new business models that create partnerships with small crafts producers and chefs featured and/or mentioned in the films.
- Contribute to audience development by engaging in an innovative way to connect with new audiences and improve access to creative works that give visibility to the European Regions of Gastronomy and raise awareness of cultural and food diversity.
- Provide a unique talent development opportunity for young film directors from different European countries and access to an international platform for sharing ideas, content, creativity, and work.
- Increase innovation and creativity in the field of culture, by testing new business models that create partnerships with small crafts producers featured in the films, and collaborations with other sectors.
The Food Film Menu is a collection of short films and videos showcasing footage from the Regions of Gastronomy or any potential candidate region. Every year IGCAT will launch a call for videos with the theme: Shows Us Your Roots, and select 10 videos to showcase and award (1) filmmaker as the Best Storyteller.